Bedside Press’s next book Work for a Million is looking for submissions for the following roles:
- Pinup art contributors (5) paid at $100 each. Limited prints of this art will be made to promote the Kickstarter and will be included in the final book, all other rights to the artwork remain with artist, including rights to reprint for own use and sales.
- Interior artist (2-5 commissioned pages delivered before Kickstarter launch, 26 pages if Kickstarter is funded, estimated 75 page Graphic Novel, $100 page rate).
Artist will be considered co-creator of the graphic novel adaptation and share 15% gross royalties with the adapter delivered semi-annually for physical and digital sales, in addition to the page rate. Artwork is black and white only.
Deadline: February 28, 2018
Notifications: March 7, 2018
About the Book:
Toronto-based writer Eve Zaremba, created the first openly out lesbian detective in crime paperbacks with tough as nails ‘dyke detective’ Helen Keremos in the late 1970s. In Helen’s second adventure, Work for A Million, she meets the sultry singer Sonja Deerfield, who she falls for while working as her bodyguard. With Sonja’s inner circle alternating between protection and deception, Helen tries her best to protect her charge – all the while dealing with threats, extortion, and explosions, culminating in a high-speed chase through Toronto’s subway system. A hard-boiled noir with lots of heart.
The novel is being adapted by writer Amanda Deibert (Wonder Woman ’77) working with the original writer Eve Zaremba and her wife Ottie Lockey. Cover art will be provided by Sean Phillips (CRIMINAL, The Fade-Out). A pinup by Marguerite Sauvage (showcased above) is our first official piece of artwork created, with more art on the way by known artists.
The first issue of this graphic novel will be funded through Kickstarter, with subsequent information on the full production to follow upon a successful campaign. The Kickstarter is estimated to launch mid March 2018, though this is variable depending on artist’s schedules.
Please email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- A list of previously published content (webcomics and anthologies are suitable)
- Samples of black and white interior comic pages (PDFs, no dropbox/google drive links)
- An artist CV
- A link to online portfolio with full-colour single-page illustrations/prints
- Attached samples of full-colour illustrations (PDFs, no dropbox/google drive links).
Disclaimer on Publisher Preferences (not mandatory requirements)
- Artists with noir-style illustrations in their portfolio will be preferred
- Canadian interior artists will be preferred
All artists will be notified of their status in March 2018.